RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — Israeli forces demolished four homes belonging to the families of alleged Palestinian attackers in the villages of Deir Abu Mashaal and Silwad in the central occupied West Bank district of Ramallah during pre-dawn hours on Thursday, leaving dozens of Palestinians homeless.
Israel demolishes 4 homes belonging to alleged Palestinian assailants in Ramallah
Israeli forces demolished the family homes of three alleged attackers in Deir Abu Mashaal: Baraa Ibrahim Saleh, 18, Hassan Ankosh, 18, and Osama Ahmad Atta, 19. The three families received demolition orders last month after the youths allegedly carried out a deadly attack near Damascus Gate in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem, which left an Israeli police officer dead. The three Palestinians were shot dead at the scene by Israeli forces.
An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed that all three of the homes were demolished.
Locals told Ma’an that some 50 Israeli army vehicles had raided the village, alongside Israeli bulldozers which demolished the homes. Israeli drones also flew above the village at the time.
Locals said that Israeli forces had declared a curfew in the village, prohibiting any residents from exiting their homes, during the demolition in order to avoid clashes. However, calls to resist the demolition were blared through the loudspeakers of the village’s mosque.
Head of the village council Imad Zahran told Ma’an that villagers had gathered at the main streets of the village and near the homes in an attempt to prevent the demolitions.
Clashes subsequently erupted in the village, leaving three “youths” injured with Israeli-fired live ammunition, locals said. An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an she would look into reports on the clashes.
According to locals, an Israeli court had given the families one week to evacuate their homes and save their valuables before carrying out the demolitions.
According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights, a total of 22 people, the three mens’ family members, have been left homeless by the punitive demolitions in spite of not having been charged with any wrongdoing.
Israeli forces also demolished the home of Malik Hamid in Silwad village. Hamid, 23, allegedly carried out a vehicular ramming attack near Israel’s illegal settlement of Ofra in April, leaving an Israeli soldier dead and another injured. Hamid was shot and detained by Israeli forces following the attack.
In both cases, Deir Abu Mashaal and Silwad faced tightened security measures following the attacks, with Deir Abu Mashaal being placed under a full military blockade following the attack in East Jerusalem.
Several family members of the alleged assailants were detained by Israeli forces after the attacks — a typical Israeli policy. The family members of the alleged assailants of Deir Abu Mashaal also had their Israeli permits revoked by authorities, while some 250,000 Palestinians who had received Israeli permits during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan also saw their permits rescinded.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fast-tracked punitive home demolitions in an effort to “deter” attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals since an increase in violence erupted across the occupied Palestinian territory in late 2015.
The move came despite past recommendations by an Israeli military committee that the practice did not deter attacks. However, Israeli rights group B’Tselem has pointed out that even if the policy was proven to deter Palestinian attacks on Israelis, the policy would remain “unlawful,” as it “constitutes deliberate harm to innocents.”
B’Tselem has also condemned the practice of punitive home demolitions as “court-sanctioned revenge” carried out on family members who have not committed crimes, amounting to collective punishment.