According to the information of ICHR, the Internal Security arrested Adel Rizq on April 14, 2011 at mid night from his home in Jabalia Refugee Camp. His family didn’t have any information about the reason or location of detention until Tuesday 19 April, 2011 when a member of the conciliation committee informed them that their son’s body was located in the Forensic Medicine Section at al-Shifa’ hospital in Gaza.
ICHR expresses its grave concern over the death of Rizq and holds the official bodies fully responsible for the life and physical safety of detainees, taking consideration the fact that no single death incident occurred in 2010. It also calls for investigating and following up all the death incidents, which occurred in the detention centers by competent legal bodies to identify the cause of death. ICHR is also concerned that the results of the previous investigations concerning deaths under mysterious circumstances have not been published.
In this context, the ICHR demands that:
– The Attorney General, in his capacity as the competent body according to the Palestinian Code of Criminal Procedures No (3) of 2001, should conduct immediate and serious investigation into the death of Adel Rizq and make available the results of this investigation.
– Ensure that the perpetrators of the crime be brought to justice for trial.
– The Ministry of Interior should issue the necessary orders to law enforcement officers to respect the legal rights and human treatment of the detainees and explain their responsibilities and duties thereof.
– Facilitating the mission of ICHR to know the results of the investigations and the conditions of the death of Rizq
– Allowing ICHR to make regular visits to the detention center of the Internal Security Agency to monitor detainees’ conditions in this center.